APE continues to be on the forefront of the self-publishing movement. Its latest event featured over 400 exhibitors, including some of the leading independent comics publishers, plus hundreds of creators and self-publishers, and over 5,000 attendees. In addition to its Exhibit Hall, APE features a full programming schedule, special guests, workshops, and the Comic Creator Connection (CCC), a program featured at all three Comic-Con sponsored events. The CCC pairs up aspiring comics writers and artists, in hopes of creating the next great comics collaboration.
The special guest list for APE 2013 includes:
Colleen Coover, Eisner Award-winning artist and co-creator (with husband Paul Tobin) of Bandette
Bill Griffith, the legendary creator of Zippy the Pinhead
Anders Nilsen, author and artist of the graphic novels Big Questions,The End, and Dogs and Water, among others.
Diane Noomin, creator of DiDi Glitz and editor of the Twisted Sisters anthologies of women cartoonists.
Raina Telgemeier, the author and illustrator of the graphic novels Smile and Drama, both #1 New York Times bestsellers.
Paul Tobin, Eisner Award-winning writer and co-creator (with wife Colleen Coover) of Bandette
Ron Turner, Bay area comix and publishing legend behind Last Gasp
Dan Vado, SLG Publshing head and APE founder
This is your chance to meet new illustrators, cartoonists, and graphic novelists, you can ask them about portfolios or how they got started. If you go to the website you can signup a head of time for a personalized portfolio review This is an awesome event for all...! Extra credit for anyone that goes and shows me a picture of themselves from the sales floor. I will be going all day on Sunday the 13, all are welcome to join me. Check out the website: http://www.comic-con.org/ape
Last year students from DVC hosted a table and sold comics at APE. Several students will be returning again this year! So come on out, make new friends, learn about the business, and earn extra credit for class.
1. Next class, be prepared to turn in your inked comic. Neatness counts, please make sure the artwork lines up with the folds. Please upload a copy of the draft and the final inked version onto your blog.(Use the entire page, no need to chop up your comic, up load yours the same way that I uploaded the demo)
2. Next class, the final version of the ball bounce will be due at the end of class. You will have some time to work on it in class.
3. Next class, I will demonstrate the next animation
1. Next class, be prepared to show your character pages for all three animals.(See earlier post for character page details.)
2. On September 24 all of the animatics are due at the end of class.
3. Next class be prepared to talk about your concept for the Bible project.
Your "Cartoon Bible" project will be a variation of the 1952 Warner Brothers cartoon "Feed the Kitty" I will place more information about the contents of the Cartoon Bible into the Scratch folder in the classroom.